Saturday, September 29, 2007

The Podcast Expo, 2007

The third Annual Podcast and New Media Expo is being held this weekend in Ontario, CA, a scant hour and ten minute drive from Chez Daniel. I went. I wish I'd gotten there earlier because they closed the place down at four PM... I got there at two.

What's it like, you ask? Well, it's a convention. Which means you're bound to see stuff like the Podcast Pickle guy.


I told him, "every time I see you it profoundly disturbs me. " He gave me a wordless thumbs up. I'm using the pronoun but it's only an educated guess.

More delightfully disturbing, the showgirl at the smidgets.com booth:


She was standing by my side, but just before they snapped the picture she whispered "watch your head." In heels, this woman is a gorgeous seven feet tall. Well-spoken AND has a nice rack! I hope she gets more acting work.

I managed to finally meet a couple of my fellow Podcast Network denizens. There was Scott Sherman (right) who runs the Digital Photography Show, the most successful podcast on the network. How successful? He's actually making money!

The other colleague is technical genius Ewan Spense, who runs two or three shows, including the official podcast of the Edinburgh Fringe Festival. I wrote email on Thursday saying I wanted to meet him and I asked for his phone number so I could locate him on the convention floor. It turns out the number wasn't necessary.


Ewan is the one in the kilt.

What did I get out of the show this year? Aside from meeting booth hotties and scotsmen, I guess the best thing is they finally convinced me to shell out for a quality mic setup. My days of using a $10 handheld to do podcasts is over. Samson Condenser mic, I got a pop screen, I got a shock mount, I got a mic stand, so I'm right back to where I was when I was using the ex's equipment. I'll call it progress.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

DANG!

That gal is all legs!

Nice work! :)

Unknown said...

ya know, only a Podcast can put the P back in Progress!!

piker62 said...

yes, and nobody wants "rogress."