Monday, February 01, 2010

Light At The End Of The Tunnel

Perhaps obstruction for its own sake is no longer seen as a good thing. Here's John Boehner on Meet The Press yesterday:

I think the President’s proposal on freezing nonsecurity domestic spending is a good first step, but it’s only $15 billion for each of the next three years. I think we can do much better than that. I don’t think any agency of the federal government should be exempt from rooting out wasteful spending or unnecessary spending. And I, frankly, I would agree with it at the Pentagon. There’s got to be wasteful spending there, unnecessary spending there.
You know who else says that? Nancy Pelosi. And I say it too, though nobody's gonna quote me in their blog.

It's interesting that Boehner says we can do MUCH BETTER than that, suggesting that there must be a huge chunk of perceived waste in this military, more than the domestic programs to help the poor and keep the schools going that they've been hacking at for years. It will be fascinating to see if the other Republicans pick this talking point up. If they do, I'll start believing that they actually are interested in making America better. Come on you guys, it's a gimme. And you even get to disagree with Obama, though you have to back up Pelosi.

No comments: