Friday, January 14, 2011

A Voice Calmer Than Mine

I have notably omitted the Sarah Palin "blood libel" controversey from this blog because I'm not sure it's such a big deal. Offensive though it may be to some, Palin is known for not being espcially precise in her language.

Joining me in this non-bashing is, of all people, Abraham Foxman of the Jewish Anti-Demfamation League.

It was inappropriate at the outset to blame Sarah Palin and others for causing this tragedy or for being an accessory to murder. Palin has every right to defend herself against these kinds of attacks, and we agree with her that the best tradition in America is one of finding common ground despite our differences.

Still, we wish that Palin had not invoked the phrase "blood-libel" in reference to the actions of journalists and pundits in placing blame for the shooting in Tucson on others. While the term "blood-libel" has become part of the English parlance to refer to someone being falsely accused, we wish that Palin had used another phrase, instead of one so fraught with pain in Jewish history.
Yes, the whole ADL isn't behind this statement, but I'm with Foxman. And if you read me carefully enough (especially last Sunday, before the sarcasm ate my soul) you'll see that I've never blamed Palin for the shooting; my point since has been to criticize the notion that there's no way the guy could have been influenced by violent rhetoric. It's a little nuanced, I know.

Anyway, next step is finding a common ground despite our differences. Anybody putting bets down on when? Me neither.

No comments: