Monday, January 22, 2007

Statistics Ruin My Life Again

According to a formula devised by Dr. Cliff Arnall in Cardiff, today is statistically the most depressing day of the year.

Arnall’s so-called formula looks like this: [W + (D-d)] x TQM x NA. All of the letters and symbols apparently represent a sort of mathematical code to track the following:
W: How bad the weather is at this time of year.
D: Amount of debt accumulated over the holidays minus how much is paid off.
T: The time since the holidays.
Q: Amount of time passed since New Year’s resolutions have gone south.
M: Our general motivation levels.
NA: The need to take action.
And of course, it's a Monday. I Don't Like Mondays.

The formula is, of course, ridiculous. For one thing it assumes bad weather. Where I am it's chilly but sunny, and therefore pretty good. On the other hand, I'm coming down with a cold, so that will push it in the other direction, but what if I hadn't noticed symptoms until Wednesday? I guess what I'm saying is formula or not, I was more depressed last month.

However, there is something to be said for January as the most miserable month. It is the dead of winter, and I personally know two people who lost parents in the last weeks. My sypathy goes out to them. And you got that post-holiday depression thing, coupled with the sudden lack of cool parties.

So if you're noticing that you're more depressed today than usual, blame the messenger Dr. Arnall. By the way, Dr. Who fans know that Torchwood has a base in Cardiff so maybe all the nearby alien tech is affecting people there. My advice to Arnall is to move out before he is swallowed by another temporal rift. I hate those.

No comments: