Friday, February 02, 2007

I Think Gates Is A Little Cranky

Check out the interview with Bill Gates in Newsweek. Here he is, stumping for his company's flagship product which is coming out 2 years late to little excitement, and on the heels of the Zune last fall which met with similar ennui. Can you blame the man for being short with the press?

Are you bugged by the Apple commercial where John Hodgman is the PC, and he has to undergo surgery to get Vista?
I've never seen it. I don't think the over 90 percent of the [population] who use Windows PCs think of themselves as dullards, or the kind of klutzes that somebody is trying to say they are.

Okay, I wasn't at the interview, but he throws in an awful lot of detail for someone who hasn't seen the spot, doesn't he? He almost goes Dick Cheney on this guy!

And I don't know why [Apple is] acting like it’s superior. I don't even get it. What are they trying to say? Does honesty matter in these things, or if you're really cool, that means you get to be a lying person whenever you feel like it? There's not even the slightest shred of truth to it.

Oooooooookay. Wouldn't that last quote sound just perfect coming from Hodgman? I'm just sayin'.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I watched Gates' interview on the Daily Show earlier this week. I'm sure the DS producers sent Hodgeman out for coffee or something while he was in.

If Gates was at all cool (and he got kinda close during the DS interview) he would have responded in the Newsweek interview by paraphrasing the SLATE article about the Apple ad campaign. To wit: They're a little odd, because Apple is the straight man and PC consistently gets all the laughs. Hodgeman as PC is what makes the ads work.

--Skot

p.s. I'll register as soon as you send me an email telling me how. :-p