Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Condi, Sending

It's not fashionable to admit this, but of all the Bush cabinet, I did admire a handful of people. Colin Powell is one, obviously, because he got the hell out when it was clear that he couldn't keep the train on the rails; Ashcroft similarly. But then there is Condi Rice.

Former U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice has endorsed former Hewlett-Packard chief Carly Fiorina in the Republican Senate primary, Fiorina’s campaign will announce today.

“California needs a representative in the U.S. Senate who is prepared to make the tough decisions necessary to address our most pressing challenges, including job creation and national security. Based on my personal experience, I know Carly is the best person to send to Washington to advocate for the people of our great state in the Senate,” Rice said in a written statement. “Carly is an experienced and respected leader who has delivered results for those she has served in the midst of immense challenges. I am proud to endorse her today.”
It's nice to see Rice emerging from the wreckage, even if only to make an endorsement that I don't buy. Thing is, Condoleezza Rice was one of the few people in the Bush administration who seemed to be intelligent, well-spoken, and not lying. This poses an interesting problem for a guy like me who so disagreed with the Bush agenda. Still, look at it this way: now that Bush isn't running things, Condi is free to pursue her own agenda. I can seriously say that I'd consider voting for her if she ran for something. It would depend on her stated positions, but at least I'd be willing to listen to them.

Of course, she hasn't got a chance of winning a Republican Primary because the Teabaggists would never allow it.

No comments: