Thursday, May 11, 2006

The Obvious Question

New revelations about the warrantless eavesdropping of phone calls (it's all of them, within the United States - the government has a record of every call you've made since September 11, apparently) will be dismissed by that core group (what are you guys, now, 30%?) as a necessary evil in a time of war.

So okay, we're at war here and we have to suspend some freedoms temporarily for safety. As a reasonable person, I can accept this. But here's the question - what do we mean by temporary?

That is, how do we know when we've won the war on terror? When can we expect our liberties back again?

Because if the answer is, "we win when there are no more terrorists," then this is not a temporary program. I'm inviting anybody who reads this to give me a sold definition of the end of the War On Terror. Or even the war in Iraq. I'd like to know - it will give me something to look forward to.

1 comment:

piker62 said...

I meant "solid" and not "sold" obviously. We've already been oversold.