Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Progress, Regress

So over the memorial day weekend I was troubled by my lack of things to do. Monday was completely open. Then Sunday night we came home and my computer was off, the smell of ozone in the air. Woo hoo!

I took a little trip out to the Apple Store, after removing the boot drive from the 8-year-old G4, and picked up a tasty iMac Intel Dual Core with 1.5 gigs of memory. Sweet. In theory. But you know the thing about the Intel Macs? They're going to be real fast when all the software you use is updated for them. At the moment, some of the stuff is slower or doesn't work at all. Fortunately for me I installed my Adobe Creative Suite without the one component which trashes the whole lot of them, but they're still going to be slow for a while, until Adobe decides whether to update or simply take their ball and go home. Anything by Apple, much faster. Logic LE is a joy to behold.

More importantly though, the iMac has somehow managed to toy with our router. I noticed it kept dropping our DSL connection last night so before I left this morning I turned off the beast and now my wife can't stay connected. I've taken a considerable amount of grief for that. I should be able to clear this one up when I get home, but I'm not placing any bets.

I will say that streaming HiDef video looks great, for as long as it streams anyway. Another plus is I'm going to be cannibalizing the old machine for cards and memory and whatever else I can unload - in case the power supply took any of this stuff down with it, I am offering money-back guarantees. That oughtta take the edge off my first major credit purchase in 4 years. And I like knowing I can take the iMac into the living room and work there, or watch Dr Who episodes on the TV. I just wish it was all set up NOW. Goldblum promised there would be no step three! Damn you Goldblum!

No comments: