Saturday, September 30, 2006

Adventures at the Podcast and Portable Media Expo

I just got back from Ontario, whose convention center hosted the Podcast and Portable Media Expo. Impressions follow.

  1. Lots of free food. There was a lounge, as depicted to the left, where an eternally filled bowl of fresh fruit waited, along with coffee and soda. I quickly realized that to buy a sandwich in the back of the hall would be sheer folly. Additionally you could pick up candy at almost every booth, plus blueberry mini-muffins at one location. And the press room had catered sandwiches. The poorly-guarded press room, heh heh heh.
  2. I met Soccergirl and Ryan! Soccergirl was participating in a live 'cast with Dan Klass and a few others I haven't heard of, and I got the opportunity to introduce myself and admit that Soccergirl had the first podcast I'd ever subscribed to. I didn't add that all my favorite people are women with poor impulse control.
  3. The Boys and Red Bar Radio, who called me over to interview on their show, said I looked like an accountant with a band.
  4. I crossed paths several times with Joanne Colan, the queen of Rocketboom. She is gorgeous in person, and as you can see, there is no way to take a bad picture of her.
  5. If I learned anything, it's this: it is almost impossible to monetize a podcast. But it's really easy to monetize your ability to do a podcast for something else.

No comments: