Thursday, April 12, 2007

So It Goes...Like a Rocket, Every 3 Minutes

You know there is no bad news, only opportunities. So when I read this morning that Kurt Vonnegut Jr. is dead at the age of 86 I considered it bad news because I think I've read more of his work than any other novelist. Then a little later I read that the English city of Chatham will host Dickens World, a theme park based on the work of Charles Dickens. Which is the worst news? Who cares? Glass half full! Move on!

I give you... VonnegutLand!

From the Big Montana Wildhack Coaster to the Eliot Rosewater Log Flume Ride, VonnegutLand will be fun for kids of all ages -- especially telephathic twin kids! Who wouldn't love climbing into the Cat's Cradle, which features neither a cat nor a cradle? Arrive early to eat at the Breakfast Of Champions Cafe; Try the Kilgore Trout - it's delicious! Then spend a little time listening to the Player Piano (it plays German songs, but it's really working for the Americans, but it's really working for itself) and be strangely attracted to the Sirens Of Titan ride!

Enough, enough.

Not to go all emo on ya, but I want to finish with a quote from the CNN obit that I cribbed all the references from. "My father, like Hemingway, was a gun nut and was very unhappy late in life. But he was proud of not committing suicide. And I'll do the same, so as not to set a bad example for my children." Vonnegut died of brain injuries resulting from a fall, and it's fitting. I don't think you could have stopped him without stopping his brain first.

No comments: