Monday, November 30, 2009

Pixley

Visited my mom for Thanksgiving (and bought her a Roomba! That's how much I love my mom.) On the drive back from Sacramento I eschewed the 5 freeway and took... hell, I have no idea which freeway it's on. My GPS does the thinking for me. Oh wait, it was the 99. Thanks Google!

About halfway down I chose for my gasoline stop the tiny town of Pixley. I liked the name, and I have a vague memory of it being thrown around as a gag on Green Acres. They suggested it was smaller than Hooterville. And wow, is THAT true.

My experience with Pixley is as follows: A freeway exit which becomes a single road. Halfway down the road, a convenience store/gas station sharing parking spaces with a burger restaurant. Across the street, a place to wash your truck. The road terminates in a freeway entrance. Now leaving Pixley!

Therefore, it's easy to assume the town has a population of 2; the guy running the gas station and the guy running the burger joint. Maybe there is a third guy who works the swing shift. Turns out, I'm close.

Pixley is a census-designated place (CDP) in Tulare County, California, United States. The population was 2,586 at the 2000 census.
I can't imagine the place (I'd call it a city, but the census calls it a place) has had a surge of population since 2000.

I also assumed Pixley is only a mile along the road, but I'm way outta line there. It's 3.1 square miles. That must be where they're keeping the other 2,584 citizens.

1 comment:

Publius said...

I've lived in a few towns of nearly that size but they have been near Chicago so I am never that far from a big city. I always wonder when I am driving in the middle of "no where," what do these people DO with their time? No close movie theaters often, grocery shopping is an hour away. Certainly no concerts or what have you. No BOOKSTORES... that one right there would kill me.