Monday, April 30, 2012

The Escape Hatch

I must admit I'm forcing myself to write today. It's so nice outside, too nice to think about politics. I've been spending a lot of time lately watching TV from other countries thanks to the internet. Most of it doesn't look like, but does FEEL, like this:



I recommend the Russian MTV to you - those guys may be freezing in abject poverty, but they know how to corral all their good looking yunguns into one place and put a camera on 'em.

So yeah, escapism in it's most extreme form. I also spent Saturday night at a Hollywood red-carpet party celebrating the Burbank Film Festival. The raven-haired one on the end is named Minna and I'll send her the pictures as SOON AS SHE GIVES ME AN EMAIL ADDRESS.

The highlight of the party for me was getting pigeonholed by this attractive, kinda-drunk Scottish nanny who kept explaining that she didn't do it for the money, but for the r-r-r-rewar-r-rd of shaping young lives. "I believe the children are the future," I told her, and she was drunk enough to totally buy it.

Anyway, this is also escapism, parties like this. And why not escape. Is anyone really excited about the coming elections? No. The best you can say is that people are hyper-annoyed that people they don't agree with are also running. For Republicans the choice is betwen Obama and the second most-hated man in politics, Romney. No one is running for anything, they're running against things which they will label as far worse. 2012 will be a dreary as anything you've seen in your lifetime. I understand the film festival is throwing another party in the summer. Man, I'm totally there.

No comments: