Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Ann Coulter: Civilization Was Ruined Anyway

I'm about a day late to the wave of criticism about Ann Coulter's new book, but anything I say will apply to the next wave of Ann Coulter criticism so it will remain timely.

Ann has a point to make about the widows of 9/11 victims, so, here is the quote she was defending on the Today Show yesterday morning: "These self-obsessed women seem genuinely unaware that 9-11 was an attack on our nation and acted like as if the terrorist attack only happened to them. They believe the entire country was required to marinate in their exquisite personal agony. Apparently, denouncing Bush was part of the closure process." On the Today show she added "These broads are millionaires stalked by stalked by griefparrazies? I have never seen people enjoying their husband's deaths so much." That's what she said DEFENDING her remarks in the book.

As a believer in free speech (which is something the next generation will have to celebrate as a legend) I'm flummoxed about Ann Coulter. Obviously I can't insist that she be silenced. In fact, I get a lot of value from my anger at her. Denouncing Ann Coulter is easy. She's the first chapter in RAGE FOR DUMMIES. She talks, I denounce. That's the American Way. You go girl!

My problem with Ann, Rush or Mike Savage isn't what they say - it's with their hosts. Why hasn't the RNC released a statement insisting that they disagree with Ann? A simple, "Ann Coulter is not our spokesperson," would be enough. Where was "We believe Michelle Malkin was wrong to endorse Japanese Internment camps," or "while we disagree with liberals, we don't agree they are traitors." I think after all this time, in the absence of these statements, we should take the RNC as agreeing with extreme right-wing hosts.

With the gay-marriage debates this has been a banner week for slippery-slope arguments, so let's posit this one... Ann Coulter thinks liberals are traitors. Traitors are criminals who should be executed. Republicans control all three branches of government. Republicans agree with Ann Coulter. All liberals disagree with the President. All people who disagree with the president are liberals.

We must execute 70% of the country.

It sounds like a terrible idea but on the plus side, it opens up room for the 12 million illegal immigrants, who must now stay and help repopulate our decimated nation. As a liberal, I can't help but see this as a positive result. Plus I no longer have a mortgage, plus I can look down from the heaven I don't believe in and laugh at the 30% of Bush supporters left behind. I'll do anything for an ironic scenario.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ann Coulter bashing. hm. You done with Sofia?

Hm. She's an endless source of fascination for me. First of all, when I'm watching cable news and she's announced as guest, I ALWAYS stick around.

First of all, she's pretty hot. Gotta admit. That blond hair, that symmetrical face, the trim bod, those crazy eyes? You know she's gotta be "unpredictable in bed" (quote from mystery men).

Then she opens her mouth and the vilest, foulest, evilest, most mephitic and malodorous words imaginable pour fouth. It turns into an endurance challenge every time, to see if I can get through her guest shot without blood coming from my ears (or I change the channel)

Dynamic tension, visual and aural disconnect, thy name is Coulter. If she didn't already exist (and I'm not so sure she does) she'd have to be invented.

--Skot