Friday, June 09, 2006

The MPAA Is Cooler Than I Thought

A movie about a football coach, whose rotten life improves once he hears the word of the lord, has been rated PG by the MPAA, even though it would normally have gotten a G.

FACING THE GIANTS, financed by Sherwood Baptist Church of Georgia, is coming out this fall with the PG through Samuel Goldwyn Pictures. Though there is no cursing or sexual situation or drug use, the film earned its rating because, "was heavily laden with messages from one religion and that this might offend people from other religions. " This is a particularly broad-minded interpretation of the PG, which is used to suggest parental guidance, but it seems perfectly appropriate to me. As a Jewish parent (I am neither, but let's be rhetorical) don't I want to consider taking my kid to a football movie which suggests that I and my associates are the devil? I think I do.

Interesting ramifications - usually a G rating is the kiss of death at the box office, but it might have been this movie's only selling point. It shouldn't be a problem because the free publicity will surely earn this thing 10 times what it would have normally. Other interesting thing - the producers are Alex and Stephen Kendrick, who are the "associate pastors of media" at their church. I understand the Amish have not yet adopted that title.

I'm only guessing, but I bet FOX news will be all over this. The war on Christian Football Movies! It's too bad, because the religious right and Hollywood were getting along so well.

Anything that restricts the notion that a team wins a game because God is on their side - that is okay by me.

No comments: