Saturday, June 16, 2007

The RNC Asks For My Help

First of all, understand I'm thrilled. I get junk mail from the Democrats ALL THE TIME asking me for money, but they have never, ever asked for my opinion. But today in the mail, direct from 310 First Street in Washington, this came from the RNC.

Dear Fellow Republican,

You are among a select group of Republicans who have been chosen to take part in the official 2007 CENSUS OF THE REPUBLICAN PARTY.

Enclosed is your new 2007 GOP CENSUS DOCUMENT, which was assigned and prepared especially for you as a representative of all Republicans in your voting district.
(There follows a registration number and voting district code, which I must assume are unique to me. After all, they used my nickname "Fellow Republican" at the top of the letter. How did they know?)
Your answers will be used to develop a NEW BLUEPRINT for the Republican party for the next 10 years, a BLUEPRINT to rebuild our party from the grassroots up.

But, because it is cost prohibitive for the Republican Party to print and mail an official REPUBLICAN PARTY CENSUS to each and every one of the 62,000,000 Republicans nationwide, your answers will represent the views and opinions off ALL Republican voters living in your voting district.
The four-page letter goes on to paint a grim picture of recent Republican history. I'd quote more but I don't think we need to air that dirty laundry again here! Along with it, a kind of survey, asking for my opinion to help guide them as they build their new platform. I can answer yes, no or undecided to the following questions, among others.
  1. If Democrats try to gut the USA Patriot Act and other important laws that promote the safety and security of all Americans, should Republicans in Congress fight back?
  2. Should we do everything we can to stop Democrats from repealing critical border and port security legislation?
  3. Should President Bush's successful income and capital gains tax cuts be made permanent?
  4. Do you support President Bush's initiative to allow private religious and charitable groups to do more to help those in need?
  5. Do you agree that sowing the seeds of Democracy and freedom in the Middle East is a worthy goal?
(I wonder why they capitalized Democracy but not freedom? Odd.)

Anyway, I'm so pleased that they're really willing to listen to us now instead of TELLING us what to think. And I'm pleased to not be hit up for money! Oh oh...
6. Will you support the Republican National Committee by making a contribution today?
There follows a series of amounts with $100 helpfully flagged as enough "to mail 250 more Census Documents to registered Republicans". Like me. I was going to send $350 but then I realized that's what I got back as a tax rebate that one year, so it didn't seem right somehow. Instead I'm sending nothin'.

I suppose I should fill out the survey, but I don't want to gum up the works by giving them my opinions, so I'll keep that to myself too. Although I gotta admit, knowing that my answers will be counted as representative of ALL Republicans in my district... it is pretty tempting.

No comments: