Saturday, August 08, 2009

Act Like You Know What You're Doing

I just auditioned for a show (hey, it keeps me off the streets) and as I was leaving someone asked me how I did. And I realized, there is no good simple answer to that question.


The problems are legion. First of all because its an audition, I can't judge how I did. I don't make the decision, the director does. And she's judging me not just on how lame an actor I am (not very, thank you) but how bad I would be in the part. And even then, whether there is someone who is less bad.

So the "get on with it then" answer would be to "how do YOU think you did?" I wish I knew! I wasn't watching me. And I was trying to not pay attention to how I was doing, because you just come off as unnatural when that happens. So my answer for today is somewhere between brilliant and Keanu Reeves. Can't narrow it down further. Can't access the data.

This must be why it's acceptable to wish someone luck in showbiz by hoping they break a leg.

2 comments:

Publius said...

Then there's the problem of not really knowing what THEY want in an actor. A lot of times they don't know themselves but suddenly know it when they see it.

I don't envy you the frustration.

piker62 said...

That's right - I may have been fantastic but too short, or not blonde enough.

You know though, auditioning is one of those activities that has parallels in regular life. We've all gone in to interview for a job and not gotten it because we remind the HR director of her first husband, the bastard.

Other activities that mirror regular life - gambling and prostitution. Hmmmm, interesting company.