Friday, February 27, 2009

I Trust "Bobby" Jindal With All My Heart

This rebuttal speech from Tuesday night is turning out to be a goldmine for the likes of me. You may recall this anecdote:

During Katrina, I visited Sheriff Harry Lee, a Democrat and a good friend of mine. When I walked into his makeshift office I'd never seen him so angry. He was yelling into the phone: 'Well, I'm the Sheriff and if you don't like it you can come and arrest me!' I asked him: 'Sheriff, what's got you so mad?' He told me that he had put out a call for volunteers to come with their boats to rescue people who were trapped on their rooftops by the flood waters. The boats were all lined up ready to go - when some bureaucrat showed up and told them they couldn't go out on the water unless they had proof of insurance and registration. I told him, 'Sheriff, that's ridiculous.' And before I knew it, he was yelling into the phone: 'Congressman Jindal is here, and he says you can come and arrest him too!' Harry just told the boaters to ignore the bureaucrats and start rescuing people.

The story is 100% true, except for the presence of Jindal. He didn't see that sheriff until several days later. Harry did tell the boaters to ignore the bureaucrats, but not while Jindal was there. And Jindal did say they could arrest him too, just not then.

Technically you could say the whole thing happened "during Katrina" if you define Katrina as including the multi-year aftermath of the storm. This would include last Tuesday, when Jindal delivered the rebuttal.

Why do Republicans keep trying to bamboozle us with such easily-fact-checked stories? It only makes them look like they don't respect the American people. Okay, I'm not being honest there myself. They OBVIOUSLY don't respect the American people. The American people are free to respond accordingly.

6 comments:

Publius said...

You should check the updates on the link you provide.

Publius said...

Oh, by the way.... I find it odd you are so concerned with this story. After all, you had no problem at all with:

"I did not have sexual relations with that woman, Miss Lewinski"

and more recently you had no problem with the tall tale that a certain messiah never heard his "spiritual mentor" saying that God should damn America.

This story is a mere blip on the radar compared to those. Why the sudden moral qualms?

Anonymous said...

Publius:

Piker has told us numerous times of his racist tendencies. Clearly, he doesn't like Jindal because of the color of his skin.

Piker also "forgets" Hillary Clinton's tale of her sniper-filled Bosnia trip, of a certain Chicago junior Senator who had "no contact" with Blago's office, the Vice President and his IQ/class standing with a reporter, it goes on and on.

He also forgets that a certain guy in the White House used to go by "Barry" at one point in his life, before switching back to Barack.

So, is Piker showing his racism because Jindal is an Indian, or a Republican?

piker62 said...

Accusing me of racism just suggests that you don't know what racism is. I actually have plenty of nice things to say about Piyush - see previous posts. It's the fact that his party thinks that America isn't ready for a guy named Piyush, when they just elected a guy named Barack, that I'm relishing here. What's next - a bill to limit obscenity on telegrams?

As for the rest of it (except for Rev Wright, who is so far off this subject that I'm almost curious to find out why Publius brought him up) yes, these other politicians were caught in easily fact-checked lies. And you see what a good strategy that was.

Publius said...

"It's the fact that his party thinks that America isn't ready for a guy named Piyush..."

You have to buy a dictionary and look up the word "fact."

And I bring up Wright not because of Wright, but because of the LIES of Obama ABOUT Wright. We are talking about politician lies, right? You know, the kind that don't bother you?

Anonymous said...

I'm not accusing you of racism, merely pointed out the fact that you yourself have said previously that you harbor racist thoughts.