Monday, February 09, 2009

The Nightmares Return

This one isn't political.

Last night I was awoken by a nightmare. I've been having a lot of nightmares lately, and I can't for the life of me put my finger on why. I'm not especially troubled by anything, except I must be. My subconcious is trying to tell me something, I guess.

So in the dream, I was back at my old job running a movie theatre. I was in the theatre business a long, long time. How long? I started lying on my resumes and saying it was "about ten years." Actually it was more than twice that. Anyway, I showed up at work on a weekday, and my assistant manager wasn't there, and the concession attendants weren't there. It was just me and a line of customers. I had to sell them snacks, and at the same time I had to be up there threading the projectors and starting the shows on time, and I had to catch the ones coming in and tear their tickets.

It's only a slightly worse scenario than the one that happened to me almost every week at that Godforsaken gig. No matter what I was trying to do, there was always something else that I was supposed to be doing at the same time, and the clock was running.

I woke up, mercifully, and then tried to get back to sleep but couldn't because of all the residual anxiety. Eventually I got another half hour before the alarm clock went off, but during that sleep I found myself in a different movie theatre. At least I wasn't working in that one, but I think I was trying to get a different job so the anxiety was the same.

Far as I know (far as anyone can know, nowadays) my waking job is secure, and if it isn't I have enough liquid cash to keep me in food and shelter for quite a while. Weird then. And why the hell don't I dream about my two years in the mortgage business? That's EVERYONE'S nightmare.

No comments: